Recently a few customers made inquiries about the differences between Kimber's KimPro Tac Mag and regular magazines. There is quite a big difference between the two styles of magazines and the price difference is minimal. In the photos below, the Pro Tac magazine is on the left and the regular magazine is on the right. Both are the compact 7 round magazines.
You'll notice on the regular magazine that the weld is visible. On some of Kimber's magazines (not the pictured ones) there is a small elevated bump in the middle of the ramp that may cause feeding issues on the last round in some very limited conditions.[nggallery id=24]
The main benefits of the KimPro Tac magazine are:
- Teflon coated follower with an extended front bearing surface (to eliminate the follower from tilting)
- The shoulders are widened and set back to optimize feeding
- It Uses a heavy rocket wire spring
- It has larger numbered round recognition holes
- It includes removable floor plates system with 2 additional bumper pads
The last photo in the group above shows a blued magazine with a bumper. The Pro Tac magazines have the same bumper as well as a smaller one. This is the only magazine I had with the bumper installed.
Considering that the difference between the two magazines is generally $2 to 4, I'd go with the Kimber KimPro Tac magazine every time.